This beginner to intermediate Brown County trail ride is a great option for children of all ages, families, and friends who would enjoy a gentle ride through the beautiful scenery of Yellowwood State Forest.
More Info About Your Indiana Horseback Riding Excursion
If you have been on the typical slow trail rides up to this point and feel very comfortable on a trotting horse, go to the next level and try the running ride at Schooner Valley Stables!
Our running trail is slightly different, and there are a few spots on the trail where we cut loose and run our horses through the wooded trail. It is still the trail format. We have offered the running trail since the beginning in 1968 and it is one of those features that sets us apart from most riding stables.
If you’re used to slower trail rides and have been riding for a while, give the running trail a try! Did you know that the average canter speed is between 10 and 17mph depending on the horse? Add a little bit of excitement to your Brown County horseback riding experience by booking this unique trail ride.
See the guidelines below to determine if the running trail is right for you!
- No doubles allowed
- No racing or passing!
- If you have never been on a horse or it has been a while since you rode last, you should join the walk and trot trail.
- If you grew up riding horses but that was decades ago, you should join the walk and trot trail.
- If you are over 200 lbs., trying to keep your balance on the back of a running horse is very difficult, we highly suggest you join the walk and trot trail.
- For 1.5- or 2-hour rides, please give us a call to discuss availability.
- Please note: As of 8/1/15 all riders 17 years old and younger who ride by themselves must wear a helmet. You can bring a bike helmet from home or use one of our helmets.